More than 60 years IFMSA existed and guided by medical students worldwide. The International Federation of Medical Students' Associations (IFMSA) was founded in 1951. It is the world’s oldest and largest independent organization representing associations of medical students all over the world. It currently maintains 123 National Member Organizations from more than 100 countries across six continents with over 1,2 million students represented worldwide. IFMSA is recognized as a non-governmental organization within the United Nations' system and the World Health Organization and as well, it works with the World Medical Association.
IFMSA was created to impact the world and to empower its members in taking their vision and ideas, and making them a reality. IFMSA has inspired generations of medical students to develop the leadership abilities and skills to take on challenges and to improve the world around them in a crucial period of their career. Engaging in IFMSA encourages both professional and personal collaborations irrespective of geographical, social, cultural, religious, racial, sexual and political differences. As a result, future doctors are becoming more culturally aware and sensitive physicians.
A world in which all medical students are united for global health and equipped with the knowledge, skills and values to take on health leadership roles locally and globally.
IFMSA unites medical students worldwide to lead initiatives that impact positively the communities we serve. IFMSA represents the opinions and ideas of future health professionals in the field of global health, and works in collaboration with external partners. IFMSA builds capacity through training, project and exchanges opportunities, while embracing cultural diversity so as to shape a sustainable and healthy future.
- To expose all medical students to humanitarian and health issues, providing them with the opportunity to educate themselves and their peers;
- To facilitate partnerships between the medical students' community and international organization working on health, education and social issues;
- To give all medical students the opportunity to take part in clinical and research exchange around the world;
- To provide a network that links active medical students across the globe, including student leaders, project managers and activists, so that they can learn from and be motivated by each other;
- To provide an international framework in which medical student projects can be realized;
- To empower and train medical students to become advocates in leading social change.
Every year students of the Stavropol State Medical University participate in exchange programs of IFMSA and IADS. Students from all over the world come to our University during a year for practice or reseach work .
Students’s Exchange in StSMU in 2014.
21 students of StSMU were on practice in foregn Universities and clinics in Serbia, Catalonia, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, Croatia, Thailand, Bolgaria, Romany, Greece, Germany, Montenegro, Azerbaijan.
8 students from Turkey, Slovenia, Italy, Tunisia, Chekh Republic and Bulgaria had practice at our University this year.
Rok Petrovčič, Slovenia
Exchange programme in Stavropol was one of the most amazing things I have had in my life. We spent one month doing practice in diferent departments from burns surgery to ambulance team. We got good insight in Russian medicine and learnt a lot of practical skills. We were not bored in our free time! We traveled to Dombay and Kislovodsk and had great picnic at the lake. We were acommodated in hostel near great market, where we could buy good natural food from Caucasus. People in Stavropol were very polite with us and we had a lot of friendly talks with citizens in the streets. It was really awesome month in great city with nice people.